There are three levels of warranty available to Smart owners. These are listed below but we suggest carefully reading through and noting the differences in cover before making a choice. Cover can be purchased monthly or annually and a £150 excess is available which can reduce the cost of cover.
The warranty is an insurance policy, which is administered by Smart and underwritten by Mondial Insurance. This falls under the jurisdiction of the Financial Services Agency (FSA).
It is important to note that the three cover levels are laid out differently. With the highest level (Tier 1), only the items not covered are defined. With the other levels (Tier 1 and Driveline), only what is covered is stated. If you require any clarification - we would advise asking a dealer who will also be able to give you the prices of the three levels.
We advise noting the following issues when considering any Smart warranty:
- 1. How does Smart define ‘wear and tear?'
- Opinions on what constitutes ‘wear and tear' vary greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer and insurer to insurer.
- Body seals are not covered - would a warrantied part damages by failure of a seal be covered. For example, would an electrical module damaged by water ingress caused by a faulty door seal be covered?
- Wheels are not covered - check to see if premature corrosion on the wheels would be considered.
- Upholstery and trim are not covered - check to see if premature wear to the seat covering, seat belt or seat mechanism would be repaired under warranty.
- See if you can get Smart to define a ‘general oil leak' - these are excluded from cover but not defined.
We also advise making sure you know the period you need the car to be covered for. This will affect the price of independent warranties that you may want to compare with the Smart warranty.
Terms & Conditions Summary
Read the key terms and conditions including covered parts and non-covererd parts: Smart Terms & Conditions.
Smart Dealer Prices
If you want to compare buying a warranty from an independent company to buying an extended warranty from Smart, or their dealers, the following example prices from Smart may help.
Remember to compare cover level with the alternative warranties using our summary comparison table. The cheapest warranty may not be the best buy.
|Smart||ForTwo||3 years||Up to 60,000, no excess||£294.00|
|Smart||ForTwo||3 years||Tier 2 Up to 60,000, no excess||£265.00|
|Smart||ForTwo||3 years||Driveline Up to 60,000, £150 excess||£222.00|
Prices correct at July 2012.
The above information has been gained from the manufacturer's sales literature and press office, and is correct as of May 2012. Please contact us with any omissions or amendments.